Saturday, January 26, 2013

Downton Abbey and the Glass of Time

Laying down in the sofa, being wrapped in a blanket, I love to be transported to the world of Downton Abbey. Meeting the lords and ladies, watching their fancy clothes and important affairs. I also love the servants and their world. The proud and proper butler, smartly dressed valets, efficient lady's-maids, kind housekeepers, and energetic cooks. The upstairs and downstairs juxtaposed nicely in Downton Abbey.

I found an interesting book in the library which setting is rather similar to Downton Abbey. The title is The Glass of Time by Michael Cox. To be honest, it took a lot of effort for me to finish that book. It was full of details and layers . A little bit boring, but still captivating. The good thing is I did not indulge.. I read one or two chapter every night.

The book is about Esperanza Gorst, a orphan young lady who became Lady Tansor's lady's maid. She did that for the sake of a great mission. What is that great mission ? That what made me kept reading.

4 comments:

  1. I'm what you call a closet anglophile in terms of my interest in Britain and enjoy British dramas and some of their comedies. But to be fair, I have some British ancestry. My favorite programs have included Prime Suspect and Brideshead Revisited. My number one favorite: All Creatures Great and Small. How about you? What has been your favorite British program? -Grace (my daughter has started a blog, so HER name, Maddie Z, will show up instead of mine)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW you have a lot of nations in you :) You told me once, you are also part Latino, if I'm not mistaken. My most favorite so far is Mr. Bean , both the movies and tv show, also Tess of D'Uberville with Gemma Arterton, the Young Victoria, Ballet Shoes ( really love the costumes here... and by seeing this movie, I grew to love putting grey and brown combo )..and of course DOWNTON ABBEY.
    The list continue with Agatha Christie and CS Lewis also the Beatles.. yes, you're right. I'm a closet anglophile

    ReplyDelete
  3. Btw, do you know that Mr. Bean is a knight? Rowan Atkinson that is... and he also graduated from Oxford. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iya.. emang si Mr Bean itu pinter yah.

    ReplyDelete