Thursday, March 14, 2013

They Love Cinnamon

I did not eat much cinnamon when I was back home in Indonesia.
I knew that it was used as a spice to cook nasi uduk ( rice cooked in coconut milk ), or kolak ( plantain stewed in brown sugar and coconut milk ). My mom, who is the chef in our house, does not consider it as a staple in her kitchen.

When I live in United States, then I started to notice the cinnamon. I eat Cinnabon. I eat cinnamon rolls at IKEA. As I started to bake , I found a lot of recipes used cinnamon. I put cinnamon in my oatmeal. I always have a bottle of cinnamon powder in my pantry.

My kids love the cinnamon. They love snickerdoodle cookies and muffins, cinnamon rolls, Cinnabon rolls. Today we had toasts with cinnamon sugar.

As it was said in Indonesia , tak kenal maka tak sayang , meaning not knowing hence do not care, that was my experience with cinnamon. It's rather ironic since Indonesia is one of the major growers of cinnamon in the world. Well... maybe someone should open a Cinnabon store there . Anybody interested ?

cinnamon rolls made from canned biscuit dough

toast with butter and cinnamon sugar

 the boy who loves cinnamon toast



1 comment:

  1. Now you KNOW he's become Americanized!

    ; )

    If Americans can, they'll put chocolate, cheese, or cinnamon-sugar on almost everything.

    Crazy, but yummy!

    See you Tuesday at BSF!

    -GS

    ReplyDelete