Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Cooking Setan

Seitan stir fry with garlic, tauco ( fermented soybean paste ) and baby spinach
Oops.. I forgot an " i " . Setan means satan or devil in Indonesian...
The one that I cooked was Seitan, a vegetable protein made from gluten and soy.
The texture is rather chewy . The taste is rather plain with a hint of sourness.
I think heavy sauce like balado or rendang or peanut sauce will be good with this protein.
Although it's very low fat and zero cholesterol,
the sodium content is rather high, as well as the price.
It costs $ 4.19 for 8 oz ( I bought it while it was on sale  for 2. 09)
while ground chicken costs $ 3. 49 for 16 oz .

I found Seitan on the Kroeger 's health food aisle
while grocery shopping with  my friend, Lucyana.
" Hey Lus, what do you think about this ? "
I showed her the Seitan.
She looked at it
" What ? Setan ? No thanks, " said Lucyana

My picky eaters were not interested in this stir fry at all.
They just wanted to drink the cocopandan syrup












No comments:

Post a Comment